Saturday 28 April 2012

Two Saucy Tips


I was cooking a sauce for dinner today, and thought it was a good chance to demonstrate two tips I have for cooking, or Pigliar due piccioni con una fava, as you might say in Italy.

The first I will mention is around canned tomatoes. Why do some brands cost more than others? 



You will notice on the lining inside this can of Cirio tomatoes is white, or enamelled, rather than metal. This prevents natural acids/sugars in the tomatoes from reacting with the metal, so not to tinge the flavour of the tomatoes. Very cheap tinned products do not use this lining.



This brings me to my next tip. When I have put a tin of tomatoes into my pan, I like to wash out the can with some red wine, so that I get all the wonderful tomato juices into my sauce.


Add a drop into the can


Swirl round the wine around the can to remove all the tomato sauce


Then pour the thick wine liquor into your cooking.


And there you have an almost clean tin ready for recycling ,with all of the tomato and wine goodness in your sauce, I would usually get more of the sauce out, but the sauce was needing attention and had to put the camera down! It is worth noting you can also do this with jars of sauces as well as tins, just put the lid on and give it a good shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment